10. Being a zombie at work is rewarded. So many jobs are imprisonment. So many people are zombies at work and zombies at home, slogging through a job they hate to collapse in front of the TV at night. Their zombie-inspired existence is depressing. Ours is hilarious. We giggle and shake with anticipation of embracing our zombie-ness.
9. There is not a desk in sight. And if there is, it’s covered with rust and body parts to create a horrific office scene that poor 9-5 drones will relate to. If we’re wearing a tie, it’s askew and doubles as a noose.
8. Sarcasm is a technical skill and generously embraced. Wit is rewarded. Skewed perspective is considered a leadership quality. Humor is the order of the day. And all of our creations are born from a severed funny bone.
7. Ideas are welcome. No longer do we have to stay silent and let the boss tell us what to do. We are a team. We are open to expression. We look for the employee that other industries have tossed out.
6. Our world is always changing. The basic goal remains the same… Scare the Beetlejuice out of people. But the method to the madness is in constant flux. There is always more to do, things to create and ideas to explore. The haunt world never sleeps, even at 1:23pm on a Tuesday in February.
5. The dress code rocks. Some of us wear black and hide in the nooks and crannies. Some don their favorite red striped sweater to pay tribute to our recently departed hero. Some have the neatly teased black hair with oh-so-perfect bangs, red lipstick and gnarly tattoos… but whatever we wear. No. One. Cares.
4. We can sleep til noon. We can live during the witching hours. We wake up late to tumble into the hallowed halls and wait for our victims to come giggling up the sidewalk. Then we can come alive with ghoulish gumption before collapsing at the end of the night, sweaty and more than a little satisfied.
3. We witness emotion. Real, raw emotion… on a daily basis. We inspire our guests to scream, laugh, cry, shriek, run, hide and faint. We provide a place where people can escape the boring horrors of daily life and succumb to the thrilling horrors of fantasy while safely in our grasp.
2. We can let our inner freak fly. We flirt, tease and playfully bully our guests. Some of them shriek. Some slip their phone numbers into our rubber-gloved hands. We can embrace that we live on the island of misfit toys. We can celebrate that we are the square peg. And we can finally get the attention we crave. Because behind our monster masks… we need love too.
1. We are home. It might not always be lucrative, but it’s rich with creativity, comradery and innovation. Anything goes. The weirder the better. And no matter how old we get, we will always be kids as long as we are home.